This is an update mostly for the sake of updating. I’m working on a mini-comic based on “punk flappers”. I have a bit of free time at the moment so trying to get as much done as I can. Generating a story to go with it is painful as I lack the necessary imagination. So I’ve helped myself along by recycling the first line of a story I once tried to write, and a random comic page. I do random comic pages. I suspect it is the hope that if I do one page the next page will follow. This hasn’t really happened yet. For once it may be useful.
I find it a little bemusing that something I abandoned over a year ago as not having a story, may now provide the bones for something with actual plot and a proper narrative. Instead of my usual: I want to draw cats. I shall draw some cats running around a city. I want to draw some pigs. I shall draw some pigs running around a tip. And so on.
Pastel drawing done over a few hours from a reference photo I took of a shearer (Nick; taken mid-March 2013). You can see the photo in the first WIP photo. Inspired by the work of Jane Radstrom to try pastel. I think I’ve only used pastel once before as an under-drawing for a (failed) oil painting. So a bit of a learning curve using a blunt tool. The foreshortened figure was a challenge. Not sure I succeeded in capturing it. I’m not completely happy with the head….
Also, look, no fantastic elements at all. Which might be a first.
It is nice just to draw something for no reason except to draw.
Untitled (2011-2). 42x56cm. Ink (brush and fountain pen) on watercolour paper.
This is about a year old and put aside. I reworked a few months ago as I was unhappy with the face. I painted over the original face in either acrylic or white ink and re-drew it. During the making of this piece I realised I did not know how to draw suits. Or anything much about mens clothing, something I am trying to remedy so next time it will look less like an ill-fitted piece of cloth and more like clothing.
Taking a break from drawing and cutting out tiny little leaves… I thought I might post some old art (2005-10). I have a tendency to be very critical of my drawings/paintings. These few, although very flawed, I think mark milestones in learning or changes in style.
Update: this is the extent of my self-reflection. I am as deep as a muddy puddle.
Two attempts later, and (I think) it is much improved. Feet are still slipping a little, but only require adjustment. Also, as I just finished this render, I learnt of another way that might avoid the above issue of slipping feet all together*. Of course I find this out now…
At this point I need to fix issue above and slow down those particles. Then onto finishing the set, the rubbish-golem, walk cycle and making the toad vomit.
*For those who use Blender: I was trying to animate moving (forward - not limbs) using entire armature as object, instead of just moving hip bone, sort of rendering the IK useless.